Cosmetic dentistry plays a vital role in everyone's lives. Having a beautiful smile boosts a person's confidence immensely and improves their overall appearance. However, oral issues such as cavities, discoloration, malocclusion, misshapen or chipped teeth, and other dental infections ruin its aesthetics.
Cosmetic dentistry offers a comprehensive solution to such problems. The various cosmetic treatment procedures not only improve the appearance of one's smile, but also restore the functionality of the mouth.
Popular cosmetic dental solutions
- Teeth whitening: Perhaps, regarded as one of the most preferred cosmetic procedures, teeth whitening allows patients to have a brighter and aesthetically pleasing smile. The dentist applies a whitening gel on the teeth, spreads it evenly and lets it stay on them for a certain duration. In case of laser teeth whitening, a high-intensity laser would be used to activate the gel. This lifts the stains from the surface of the teeth and makes them look whiter in a short span of time. The process may be repeated multiple times if the staining is severe and the patient prefers a higher grade of whitening.
- Fillings: Fillings are usually used to fill cavities. However, they can also be used for other cosmetic and restorative purposes such as treating misshapen and chipped teeth, minor cracks and fractures, etc. They are applied to the teeth, shaped according to the contour and hardened using a curing light.
- Crowns and Bridges: Crowns and Bridges are custom restorations that are used for both aesthetic and functional purposes. Crowns are cap-like structures made from porcelain that fit perfectly over teeth. They can treat issues such as chipping, cracks, discoloration, spacing, and worn out teeth. Bridges are a great way to replace teeth that are extracted. The best thing about them is that they are life-like, strong, durable and all of this doesn’t even require a surgery.
- Veneers: Veneers are widely used to improve the frontal appearance of teeth. They are thin shells made from porcelain and bonded on to the tooth using dental adhesives. This way, discoloration, minor cracks, chipping, wear and tear of teeth can be rectified. They are extensively used in crown lengthening procedures.
- Gum contouring: Gum contouring includes procedures that remove infected gum tissues, grafting tissues to areas where there is gum recession, removing excessive and puffy gum tissues, etc. It is mostly recommended when the gums have receded due to infections such as gingivitis and periodontitis.
- Inlays and Onlays: Inlays are custom restorations used to fill cavities. They are fabricated according to the shape of the cavity and fit into position before bonding permanently using adhesives. Onlays are ‘half-crowns’ which only cover the cusp of a tooth and help in restoring the biting surface of the worn out tooth.
- Braces and Clear aligners: Crooked teeth not only damage the appearance of your smile but also lead to oral infections, plaque, and tartar buildup and potential jawbone deterioration. Hence, it is best to get them treated at a young age to increase the chances of developing straighter teeth growing up. Braces and clear aligners are widely used orthodontic appliances and do a great job at correcting misaligned teeth.
Schedule an appointment with us to learn more about cosmetic dental solutions and to discuss your treatment with our dentist.