Malocclusion or crooked teeth is a dental issue that has affected millions of people. It poses several disadvantages, out of which a displeasing appearance is one of the most prominent ones. People with malocclusion usually feel embarrassed while talking or smiling and would always be conscious of people noticing them. Luckily, orthodontic solutions can be used to change the alignment of the teeth and give them a complete aesthetic makeover.
Treating malocclusion has never been so easy, safe and comfortable at the same time as it is with the use of clear aligners. The advancements in dental technology have brought so much to the table that you no longer have to use metal braces to correct your misaligned teeth. Instead, patients can choose clear aligners and easily conceal their orthodontic appliance, which isn’t possible in the case of braces.
Why should malocclusion be treated at the earliest?
- Perhaps, the biggest drawback of misaligned teeth is that they ruin your smile. Perfectly aligned teeth are more attractive and improve the appearance of a person.
- Brushing and flossing crooked teeth is difficult. A lot of microbes tend to get left behind in between the teeth though regular oral hygiene is practiced. This can lead to the build-up of plaque and tartar, potentially giving way to gum diseases and other infections.
- When teeth are misaligned, excessive pressure is applied on certain teeth. This may lead to jawbone deterioration and loosening of teeth from the sockets.
- It can lead to discomfort while biting or chewing food, and also while conversing.
- The risk of developing TMJ disorder is higher. It can cause persistent headaches, pain in the TMJ, neck and facial muscles.
During the initial visit, a thorough examination of the mouth is carried out to determine the severity of malocclusion. X-rays and 3D scans will be taken to map out the alignment of the teeth and how best they can be moved to their proper positions. Based on all the data collected, a customized treatment plan will be drawn out and sent to a dental laboratory. This is where the aligners will be fabricated with high precision using dental grade clear plastic material.
The set of aligners are manufactured with such high precision that they apply a predetermined amount of pressure in a particular direction on certain teeth to bring them into alignment. They will have to be worn for a minimum of 22 hours every day and can only be removed while brushing, flossing, eating and drinking. Once every 2 weeks, the aligners will be replaced with a new set. Based on the severity of the condition, the treatment period may vary between a few months to a couple of years.
Why should you get clear orthodontic aligners?
- Since they are made from clear biocompatible plastic material, they are not easily noticeable. Unlike braces, they work in disguise and move the teeth gently to their desired positions.
- They are absolutely metal free. The chances of getting hurt from metal brackets or wires are eliminated.
- The advanced technology used in clear aligners allows dentists to track the changes during the treatment period. Also, the entire treatment duration can be accurately predicted.
- They are removable. This allows the patient to eat any food of their choice and carry out oral hygiene effectively.
Schedule an appointment with us and get your malocclusion problems treated at the earliest.