Dental anxiety, or the fear of dental treatments is one of the major reasons why people tend to neglect their oral health and their visits to the dentist’s office. At Prescott Family Dentistry, we can give you a comfortable and anxiety-free dental experience through our state-of-the-art sedation dentistry services.
Sedation Dentistry refers to the administration of sedatives prior to a dental procedure to help patients relax and remain free of anxiety during treatment. Sedation could be administered in any of the following forms:
- Nitrous Oxide sedation – In this method, you are made to breathe a mix of nitrous oxide and oxygen through a mask which covers your nose. Nitrous Oxide, also commonly known as laughing gas, helps you relax. The amount of sedation can be varied during the course of the procedure. The effect of the gas wears off soon after the mask is withdrawn.
- Oral Sedation- This comes in the form of a small pill which is taken orally before your dental procedure.
- IVSedation – In intravenous or IV sedation, the sedative is transmitted directly into the blood stream. This form of sedation is used for long and complex dental procedures.
What are the benefits of sedation dentistry?
- Helps in overcoming fear and anxiety – sedatives help patients relax so that their dental procedures can be carried out with ease. With dental sedation, even patients who have low pain tolerance will not feel much discomfort; they may even have little or no memory of the procedure.
- Your dental treatment can be completed quickly and easily– Undergoing sedation allows you to smoothly sail through lengthy dental procedures without pain and discomfort.
For more information on our sedation dentistry services, please contact our office at (803) 306-7567, or visit us at 936 Market Street, Suite 201, Fort Mill, SC 29708.