Chipped or damaged teethmay keep you from smiling freely in public. However, the effects of chips in the teeth go beyond just aesthetics. The good thing is that there are many dental solutions available to correct these imperfections. One of the most popular of these are porcelain veneers.
Porcelain Veneers are very thin materials that are shaped to cover the surface of your teethand improve their appearance. If you have discolored, decayed or chipped teeth, then porcelain veneers are recommended for you. Veneers can also be used to close minor gaps between teeth.
What are the benefits of veneers?
- They look like natural teeth
- They are easy to install
- They are resistant tostains
- They can be made to match the natural color of your teeth
- Veneers offer a minimally invasiveapproach to changing a tooth's color and shape
The procedure of getting a veneer
- Diagnosis and treatment planning - this step will involve your working with your dentist so you can explain well to your dentist the results you want to achieve.
- Preparation – the preparation will require removal of some of your tooth’s enamel but before this is done, local anesthesia may be administered to numb the area. Then, the impression of your tooth is taken and sent to a dental laboratory to prepare your custom veneer.
- Bonding – your dentist will temporarily place the veneer on your tooth to examine its color and shape so that adjustments can still be made before it gets permanently cemented on the tooth. The veneer is bonded to yourtooth dental cement and then hardened using a special curing light.
For more information on porcelain veneers, call Prescott Family Dentistry at (803) 306-7567. Our dental practice is located at 936 Market Street, Suite 201, Fort Mill, SC 29708.