INLAYS AND ONLAYS
Many restoration options are now available to repair teeth with minor to moderate decay or damage. Inlays and onlays are often used as an alternative to traditional dental fillings to repair decayed or damaged teeth. Inlays are applied at the center of a tooth while onlays cover whole of the biting surface of a tooth.
Inlays and onlays offer a host of benefits for your damaged teeth:
- They are highly durable
- Unlike traditional metal fillings, inlays and onlays can increase the strength of the teeth by more than 75%
- Inlays and onlays extend tooth life which means that less dental treatment would be required in the future
- Inlays and onlays are less likely to discolor over time
- They make it easy for you to clean your teeth because the fit is tailored at all the edges of the tooth
- They work better when it comes to sealing teeth from bacteria rather than a composite filling
The installation of inlays and onlays usually takes 2 appointments. During the first appointment, we will numb and prepare the tooth by drilling and removing decay. Then, we will take an impression of the tooth and send it off to a dental laboratory where your custom inlay or onlay will be made.
At the second appointment, we will remove the temporary restoration and then bond the inlay or onlay to fit your teeth perfectly. The procedure will be completed with polishing for a smooth and pleasant look.
Prescott Family Dentistry is your go-to place for high quality dental solutions. We make sure our patients are provided with excellent services using our state of the art equipment under the expertise of our well trained professionals. For more information about inlays and onlays, call (803) 306-7567, or visit our practice location at 936 Market Street, Suite 201, Fort Mill, SC 29708.