A dental emergency refers to a situation involving teeth and surrounding tissues that is considered of high importance and needs the immediate attention of a professional dentist. Dental emergencies may not necessarily involve pain, although pain could be a major indication that something needs urgent attention. There are many situations that are considered as an emergency and each of them requires unique treatment depending on the extent of the problem. Prescott Family Dentistry in Fort Mill is equipped to handle all types of dental emergencies, always and at all times.
Some examples of dental emergencies include:
- Toothache: An unbearable pain in your tooth needs immediate care from a dentist. It may be caused by a broken tooth, damaged tooth, an abscess, gum disease or a root canal infection.
- Chipped or broken tooth: Broken teeth can almost always be saved. Call us and we will see you immediately. Small breaks can be treated with a filling. If the break is serious, you may need root canal treatment followed by placement of a protective crown.
- Knocked out tooth: If your tooth gets knocked out, don’t try to handle it too much. Try putting it back into its socket and bite down lightly on a wet tea bag or moist gauze. Call our emergency dentistry service immediately.
- Lost fillings and crowns: lost fillingsand crowns can be painful and may be caused by an accident or biting down on hard foods. The tooth needs a new filling or crown in such a case.
- Accidents causing dental trauma: Accidents causing trauma to the face, teeth, gums or jaw need immediate attention. Contact our emergency dentist for quick attention and timely treatment.
If you have a dental emergency, do not hesitate to contact our office at (803) 306-7567. Dr. Prescott, our expert Fort Mill SC dentist, will be more than happy to help you.