At Prescott Family Dentistry, we understand the troubles our patients go through when they lose a tooth and that is why we strive to provide the best dental solutions to fix and correct your oral problems. One of the most effective and efficient solutions for replacement of missing teeth comes in the form of dental implants.
A dental implant is an artificial post placed in your gum to serve as a support for an artificial tooth. It is made using titanium and fuses with the bone to serve as a root for the replacement tooth. If you are considering getting a dental implant, you will have to first get yourself evaluated to understand if you are an ideal candidate for the procedure.
Types of Dental Implants
- Endosteal implants - these are implanted directly into the jawbone using surgical methods.
- Subperiosteal implants — these consist of a metal frame which is fitted onto the jawbone just below the gum tissue.
The advantages of getting an implant
- Dental implants are a known effective and successful alternative for replacing missing teeth. Depending upon an individual’s oral health and gum conditions, the success rate of dental implants is about 95%.
- Dental implants are natural looking and function like your normal teeth. They are customized in such a way that you can hardly tell the difference between an implant and a natural tooth.
- With implants, there are no restrictions on the foods that you are allowed to eat.
- Dental implants ensure protection of healthy teeth around the tooth loss site because an implant independently provides support to the artificial tooth and does not affect any adjacent teeth.
Good oral hygiene should be practiced with dental implants. Proper brushing and flossing should still be an integral part of your daily habits to control decay and buildup of plaque and bacteria.
For more information on dental implants, do not hesitate to contact our office at (803) 306-7567, or visit us at 936 Market Street, Suite 201, Fort Mill, SC 29708.