PROFESSIONAL TEETH CLEANINGS AND CHECKUPS
Professional teeth cleanings are crucial in order to maintain great oral health. Harmful bacteria and plaque in hidden areas of the mouth cannot be removed by just brushing and flossing. It is imperative that you pay a regular visit to your dentist for regular cleanings and checkups because this is one of the most vital aspects of good oral hygiene. At Prescott Family Dentistry, we encourage our patients to make dental visits a regular part of their oral hygiene routine to ensure optimum oral health.
Teeth cleaning, also known as prophylaxis, is the removal of tartar that develops even with careful brushing and flossing, especially in the areas of your mouth that your toothbrush cannot reach. This is performed by a dental hygienist. If there is too much accumulation or tartar and plaque, thena deep dental cleaning will have to be done.
Checkups are also essential for preventing oral health diseases because this includes diagnostic services to detect possible problems.
Diagnostic services may include:
- Reviewing and updating medical history, including information about diabetes, pregnancy, heart problems , medications, which may have an impact on your oral health
- Oral cancer examination and screening
- Evaluation of gum tissue
- Checking your teeth’s functions such as biting and chewing
- X-rays or examination of teeth to further check decay
- Recommendation to specialists for specific treatment
Benefits of regular checkups and cleanings?
- Good oral health. Good oral hygiene will help you keep your mouth as well as your body healthy. Proper hygiene can prevent gum disease which is associated with many serious medical conditions including heart disease, diabetes, pneumonia and many others.
- Confidence. Teeth cleaning will give you the confidence to show your healthy white smile.
- It helps you prevent tooth cavities. Plaque build-up on your teeth is the main cause of tooth decay. If this is left untreated, it will lead to cavities. Dental cleaning helps remove this buildup and protects you from cavities.
- It helps prevent tooth loss. Gum disease is the main cause of tooth loss and it often starts with plaque build-up that does not get removed.
For more information on the professional teeth cleaning services we provide, do not hesitate to contact our office at (803) 306-7567, or visit us at 936 Market Street, Suite 201, Fort Mill, SC 29708.